Friday, May 1, 2009

Another turning point - a fork stuck in the road

There are many lasts to be had right now. The last day of classes. The last paper to write. The last exam to take. The last party to attend. The last chance to hug a dear friend before paths diverge across the country.

We came here with hopes and dreams, and we leave with the same hopes and dreams. Perhaps we leave with a little more insight on how to make them happen. I will be staying - throughout the summer and into next academic year. However, I will not return with many friends. It's bittersweet to think I will spend more time in a place I love, but some of the people I have come to love will not be here.

But they need to go. They need to take their places in the will of God. They need their turn to bring about changes that let others know they are not alone in this world. I need them to go too. They have let me lean on them when I was not strong. Because of them, I healed when I didn't think it was possible. Now it's time for me to prove how strong I really am - to me and to them. When I stand tall and proud I also honor all that they have done to help me. They may not get the fruit of their labor, but someone else will. I will pass it on to another group of people who have the potential to be just as amazing. It's now my position to help bring that around. This time next year, it will be my turn to say the big good byes. Until then, I will enjoy this time I have left and look forward to all the possibilities to come.

No comments: