Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Real World: Boston?

What I have loved about coming to Boston is that I can not live in a bubble. Well, I could, but I'd actively try to live in a bubble. I have been exposed to thoughts, cultures, theologies that are so different than my own.

Last night we, community dinner at Marsh Chapel, met a woman from Uganda who had been abducted as a child. She was forced to work in a child soldier camp. As she told us her story about escaping from that horror and how important education I thought about how I complain about my life.

*sigh* There are real problems in this world. Is it really tragic that I have to wait another 10 minutes for a bus? How bad is it that I have to cook my own food instead of going out for pizza? Is it really that bad that I have to go to the library for a book because I can't buy it from Barnes and Noble? (Who can afford a book there?) There are people who worry about finding water so they don't die of dehydration. People right here worry about food. There's worry about the temperature dropping because hypothermia is a real threat.

I needed to hear her message. Life is so worth it, and it really doesn't suck.

No comments: