Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Customer service 101: Consumer edition

Since I have been exploring heavy topics for a while, I thought I'd try something light-hearted.
I think it's time customers had a crash course in how to be a good customer. I have been working retail this past summer, and here are a few helpful hits for American consumers. These are meant to be light-hearted, but they do ring with some truth. They are also in no particular order.

1) Please hang up your phone. You would be infuriated if I tried to help you while taking to my friend on the phone. Why is it okay when you do it? I really only need 2 minutes of your undivided attention. If you cannot give that to me, you might need to take a break.

Exception: If you are calling someone to help make a decision about the purchase, that's okay. I'd prefer you get the right thing and not have to make a return.

2) Responses to greetings. Sometimes I say "hello" to a customer and I get back "Just looking." Ummm... I didn't ask a question. Just say hello back. I realize you may not want someone breathing over you as you look around, but my boss also requires that I make some sort of contact with every person who enters the store.

3) Commentary. I know we are in a recession... that's why I'm working retail. If you think something's too expensive, there is no need to call it "a rip-off." I did not set the price, and your comments will not put me in a position of changing them. If you can buy it cheaper at home, please do. The economic climates (as well as cost of living) of each region are vastly different. I cannot help that - I'm a victim of it as much as you.

4) Discounts. Yes, sometimes we forget about discounts, and it doesn't hurt to ask. When I've said there are no discounts 3 times, I'd like you to believe me. I am not trying to get more money out of you. I have to account for it in the register, and there is no way for me to get a hold of it from a credit card transaction. I am not trying to rip you off.

5) Asking for help. This goes back to #2. In saying a greeting, I am hoping to open a pathway where you know I am available to answer your questions. When you say you don't need help, or just looking, I will leave you alone. However, please do not ask my boss for help 60 seconds later. I will hear about this because he will think I'm not helping customers. If you have a question, please seek me out. If I cannot help you, I will find someone who can.

6) Leaving messages at the store. Whether it's business or personal, if you need to leave a message, please answer all of my questions. When you say, "He'll know what it's about," you don't realize he really might not. I have been asked to get the answers to these questions. If you can give me a little information it's very helpful. If it's a personal matter, I'll respect it. If you're with a business, it seems fishy when you won't tell me the name of your company or phone number. Think about it.

7) Impulse purchases. I know there are things at the counter to entice you to spend just a little more. I also know you just might take one. However, there is a point in the transaction where I cannot add something on. I'm really sorry about this. Please do not get upset about it. We can do another transaction.

8) checking out in a crowd. Sometimes stores get busy. We are doing the best we can with what we have. Please do not tap your fingers on the counter or yell at me with "I've been waiting for half an hour." I know you have not because half an hour ago I couldn't find anything to do. There are many other people who are just as busy as you, and we are trying to help everyone in a timely manner. If you wave money at me, it makes me feel cheap; please don't do it. If you put money down on the counter and then walk out with merchandise, it is legally shoplifting. Give us 5-10 minutes. We will get to everyone.

I hope this helps. I have seen every one of these things this past summer. I may have a library/archive edition coming up soon. In the mean time, share this with a friend. We all want good service, and these few steps will help you get it.

No comments: