Sunday, March 23, 2008

Is the world larger or smaller?

People tell me the world is getting smaller because we are more able to get information from any corner of the globe in a short amount of time. Generally, I agree with it in principle. There's a but coming... we have to actually acknowledge how large this world is before we can shrink it on to a computer screen. I have to first know there are people in this community I call the World who look different from me, speak a different language, practice a different religion, eat different foods, and a host of other things that are foreign from my daily life or culture. If I don't acknowledge it first, I have done these people a disservice. I have compared them to me as the apex of how to live instead of letting them be themselves in their way of living. While my philosophy/theology professor would tell me I need to use "or" instead of "and," I have to say the world is expanding and shrinking at the same time for me, and to do it any other way would just be wrong for me.

No comments: