Sunday, December 21, 2008

The sleet lay on the ground; the T was late...

There's a certain sigh of relief when the last exam is turned in. This semester, the relief literally brought me to tears. In the previous seven days, I used up everything I had, and I was running on fumes. It was one of those times when you realize why God rested on the seventh day. I now had time to visit friends and do things I had been putting off - like laundry and sleep!

After spending an afternoon with a good friend, I made my way through the accumulated snow and the falling sleet towards the Green Line T. I was blessed to watch it pull away with happy passengers. Instead of just waiting for the next one, I walked to the next T stop. I figured it was better to keep moving that stand still and wait. It was about 34 degrees out, so the movement would keep me warm. I forgot that the snow was hiding the vast aquifers on the street, and I was wearing tennis shoes. By the time the T came, my feet were soaked, and my toes were cold.

I was a little more than happy that the train I was riding decided to run express. This meant I should get home a little faster because we would be moving past about 4 stops. However, the joy was short-lived. The car was having trouble maintaining power because ice accumulated on the cables powering the car. I had never heard a train so quiet as that one. People were listening to the conversation between the driver and central command. When we pulled into our stop, we could not start again. I have to give props to the driver - he did everything he could to try and start it again while keeping us warm.

Here's where the unexpected joy came. A number of people came on the train ... only to have to get off and wait again. However, they were filled with a certain joy. They had not been through the past 5 minute experience we had, so they didn't have the same fear or confusion. They were just grateful to be out of the cold. They were cracking jokes and having a good time. I really don't remember the jokes, but I remember my whole demeanor changing. I even started to joke with them. If you haven't spent much time in Boston you may not realize this, but that is a very rare thing to have happen - especially on public transportation. I ended walking the 3-4 blocks home from that stop, and I encountered at least 5 puddles, which soaked my socks to a level not previously know, but I was in good spirits.

Sometimes, letting people in to your life, who don't know all the circumstances, can be liberating. They can give you a fresh version of what's going on, and you may even laugh about it. Smiles, like love, are contagious... it's a bug worth catching.

Oh... and I'm finding rubber boots tomorrow.

No comments: