Monday, October 13, 2008

self-worth for sale

The idea that your self-worth has been on sale is an unfortunate part of the American economy. Even worse now, they are selling identities. However, when did we start charging for it among other people?

Everyone wants something in exchange for something else, it seems. Nothing is for free or simply a kind gesture. There are personal ads out there that say something to the equivalent of, "You're ugly, so this is your last chance. Use it or lose it." What a horrible thing to say to a fellow human being! No wonder people are confused about the nature of love. No wonder people will clamor to anything that gives the illusion of it. Literally everything around us is telling us we are not worthy. I sent a reply to this person to ask why he wrote such a post. I have not received a reply, and I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not holding my breath because I want to live in something greater. I swim against this sea of chaos every day. Sometimes I create the waves I must crest, and other times they are made for me. This cannot be all there is to it. Dry land must surely appear from time to time. However, I try to remember that people saying hurtful things are telling me more about themselves than they are telling me about myself. It's not an easy thing to do, and I'm not always successful, but I do try to remember that.

So sorry buddy. I'm not ugly enough for you, if that's what you want. This isn't my last chance, and time (while marching on) is not running out. This life is temporary, but I have an eternity with my Father to look forward to. I'm gonna have to pass on your offer.

No comments: