Monday, June 1, 2009

They shall see visions

In this past Sunday's lectionary reading, the story in Acts tells of the day of Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit came into the world and first landed on the gathered disciples. It also quotes from Joel, "In the last days it will be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit upon all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams." (Acts 2:17)

In the Hebrew Bible, there was an end to prophesy, and it wasn't to begin again until the Messiah came - that was how they were to know the Messiah had come. Christians have interpreted this into affirmation of Jesus as Christ and Messiah. However, we still talk about it as something that happened once upon a time and not something that occurs right now.

The Bible has a way of using masculine language when we understand it to be inclusive, so I am going to assume that both men and women will prophesy, see visions and dream dreams. (Sorry to those who are more literal) I believe that God still sends messengers to us in order that we convey those messages on. I still believe in prophets in this age. Prophesy did not end with Martin Luther King, Jr. and Howard Thurman.

By not talking about it, though, we submit it to a psychological disorder that can be "fixed" with some medication. We have western medicine explain religion. I know that if I were in an eastern tradition, any prophesy would be more welcomed. It would still undergo scrutiny to make sure it was prophesy, but it would not immediately be presumed a malfunction of the brain.

If we are supposed to see visions and dream dreams, then why shouldn't we talk about it with each other? Why do we hide it, especially when it is tidings of great joy? My own reason for hiding them is the counter-balance of great fear. The same fear I mentioned before keeps me from sharing the great joy. I have seen the visions and stood before moments of glory that cannot be explained. I have kept silent for fear the church would not understand. As I type that, it seems beyond silly to me. One who believes in God, commits her life to the good of the church, is afraid of what the church will think about her being called before the countenance of God and sharing a message!

That is why I share this tiding with you - so that those who read this know they have no reason to fear. You are not alone. You are not alone in visions; You are not alone in this world. My message to share is this: God will meet you in a way that you will know. You will know your master's voice and face. God will come to you when you need it most, but you must keep an eye out for God's presence. Do not fear. You are not alone.

No comments: