Tuesday, September 16, 2008

security blankets

I am told time and time again that it's important to let go of the baggage that weighs us down. Christians follow-up with "give it to God." However, I'm still trying to learn the art of how to let go of things I know are unimportant.

Sometimes I feel like a child who clings to a blanket. I have taken that blanket everywhere with me, and now it's dirty and starting to smell. It needs to be washed, however I can't seem to part with it for that short amount of time. My fingers clutch around it as it tried to be removed from me. Just why do I cling to it knowing it's not right for me?

Like a child, I probably like the comfort and security. If someone attacks (or accuses) me of faults, I will have faults of theirs with which to counter. Holding on to pain is my ammunition. I carry the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune with with me - all the while hoping that I don't hurt myself first with their poison tips.

I don't yet have an answer about how to let go. I have to pick a topic to write about this semester for one of my classes, so I think I'll take up the topic of forgiveness and look at it theologically. More on this topic to come in the future...

No comments: